Monday, April 25, 2005

Gambling ... It's Hard Work

"It's hard work. Gambling. Playing poker. Don't let anyone tell you different. Think about what's it's like sitting at a poker table with people whose only goal is to cut your throat, take your money, and leave you out back talking to yourself about what went wrong inside. That probably sounds harsh. But that's the way it is at a poker table. If you don't believe me, then you're the lamb that's going off to slaughter." -- Stu Unger

Congrats to Bob who had an amazing run last night on the WSOP Blogger table. Good luck on June 3 against 2,000 or so people. With all the railbirds you'll have ... I'm sure you'll represent well. I will be cheering you on from sunny Cincinnati. Last night was one of those things. If I had won ... which lets face it, would have never happened, I would have had to figure out how I could have shown up. I'm afraid I may have been that blogger who couldn't show up. Glad that didn't have to happen.

So, after I was ousted last night, I began to think about my NL game, or for better words, lack thereof. I understand now that I am strictly a low-limit grinder. Nothing more, nothing less. I do not have what it takes to become a good NL player. I went through my hand history last night and while I didn't have a ton of great hands, I truly have no feel how to play NL. Steal opportunities? Yeah, I've read all the books. I've taken all the notes. I'm simply not aggressive enough. I did execute a few times last night, but overall, I lack the cajones to make the big play that could pay off. So bloggers ... be happy it is not I representing anyone at the WSOP.

So, I will bid adieu to the rest of the blogger tournaments until I can really work and solidify my game. I will still play NL SNGs because you really don't need any skills to play those. I think a trained monkey could finish in the money 60% of the time. Sorry for the news, but there really isn't any reason for me to play ... unless you guys just like getting my money. In reality, I can't understand why I am not aggressive at NL poker since I'm aggressive in every other thing I do. Makes no sense. I love gambling. I just can't put it all together when I need to.

Anyways ... go read a great writeup from last night at Pauly's place.

Also, huge thanks and big ups to Iggy and Otis for setting up the tournament.

************

The Cincinnati Enquirer ran a huge seven-day spread about bringing gambling to the city. For the love of god ... Mark Twain was right. Cincinnati is always 20 years behind. For a city in the financial troubles that it is in, gambling would certainly help bring us back in the black.

Go check the articles out here. I would love for the boats to come. I want so very bad to have some gambling boats only minutes away from my house. I love the craps tables and blackjack tables. Please come closer.

*************

Going back to my grinder-style of play. That is typically why I do not talk about my play much here on the site. There aren't any bells and whistles to my play. I'm a very ABC-type player. I wait for the premium hands and I capitalize. Lately, even those hands haven't been holding up too well. I could sit here and analyze my play and report on it, but again, there isn't anything earth shattering. There are far better writers and players to go read to gain insight. I have my theories and ways of playing, but I'm not the most articulate writer out there to help give anyone my insight.

**************

Really looking forward to getting Dan Harrington's book. Yeah. I know what you're thinking. Why? You said you aren't a NL player. True, but Harrington is one of my favorite players to watch. So methodical. Great player and I don't think anyone else could have done what he did in '03 and '04 making back-to-back final tables. I've read other bloggers views on the book and eventually when I do buy and read it, I'll give my review. Don't expect it any time soon.

***************

I would go and refill, but I think I need to go to bed. I've been able to catch up on some old episodes of Lost. I think it is the 2nd best show on television right now. It's right up there with 24. I used to watch a lot of tv, but I truly don't have the time for too much of it any longer. I still get my shows, but now I have to wait weeks before I actually know what happens. That is the wonderful thing about TiVo. I truly have no idea how this show will end. I guess it is coming back for a second season, but I don't see how. Yes it has been a huge ratings success and everyone has loved the show, but don't turn this into Gilligan's Island.

****************

I have some thoughts on the NFL Draft, but they may need to wait until another day. I don't think I can keep pounding this out tonight.

****************

Stu Unger's quote. I feel like that lamb being led to slaughter right now. I haven't been able to pick up tells or get into my "A" game. I will one day. I will continue to learn and read and improve my play. When that happens ... look out. I will be back in the blogger tournaments one day. Good luck until then. If you ever want to say anything while on the tables ... I'm not too hard to find. If you know my screenname on one site ... you should know it on all sites. E-mail me if you want it.

****************

Last Add: A little trivia for you ...

What 7-letter word becomes longer when the third letter is removed?

No comments: